Since we have started using Visual Studio 2005, all new projects have been placed in Subversion
for our version control. We have been very pleased with the switch away from Visual SourceSafe so far.
we took steps to move all active development to Subversion and I moved
two current 1.1 projects out of SourceSafe and into Subversion. Of
course, we have all old versions in SourceSafe where they will continue
to be for the time being, along with other projects.
was a little surprised at all the VSS (Visual SourceSafe) hooks created
in my solutions. First, there seemed to be an abundance of files in my
folders that ended with "scc". I knew there were a few but it seemed I
deleted at least a dozen of those buggers. I also have to make all the
files writeable, so I removed the read only tag in the properties.
the fun began. I opened the project only to get messages about the
missing scc files. I closed VS 2003 down and found that a few new scc
files were created for me. :)
I immediately opened up my project
file (csproj) in a text editor and found a bunch of VSS hooks in
there. 4 to be exact. In the header, there are 4 items that begin
with Scc. I removed these and saved the project file. I did this for
all project files.
Then I checked my solution file (sln).
Sure enough, there was an entire section labeled for
SourceCodeControl. I, of course, removed these too. Then after clean
up the newly created "scc" files, I was ready to try again.
This time it worked like a champ.